JAN 22, 2024
9 Reasons Why ZetaChain Is Better Than LayerZero & Other Cross-chain Protocols
by Fbsn..eYCt, Michaelo
An in-depth analysis on ZetaChain Technology and Interoperability
Omni-chain technology has become a prevalent concept in the world of blockchains since the necessity for it arose.
Its importance in scaling transactions have significantly become inevitable as the need for cross-chain interactions become prevalent every passing day
As more and more innovations happen everyday on the infrastructure layer of the crypto ecosystem, we're beginning to appreciate the need for protocols that enhance interoperability between L1 and L2 blockchains .
Before now ,we've had other cross-chain protocols like ;
- BTC-Relay : A trustless cross-chain communication protocol that uses smart-contract on Ethereum to verify transaction that happened on Bitcoin
- Wormhole : A non-trustless cross-chain protocol that uses validators to verify transactions or messages that was delivered on another chain (Solana <-> Ethereum)
- LayerZero : A trustless communication layer that facilitates cross-chain message delivery with the help of smart contracts
- Rainbow Bridge etc
But Why ZetaChain?
Zetachain is an interoperable L1 blockchain that helps cross-chain interactions/transactions through the use of Cross-chain Message Passing (CCMP) mechanism . It has chain agnostic interoperability built-in and it is smart-contract enabled
Cross-Chain Message Passing (CCMP) mechanism uses the ZetaChain and ZetaChain EVM (zEVM) to relay messages (otherwise cross-chain contract calls) and also to transfer value (multi-chain token ZETA)
The ZetaChain CCMP does this by initiating a direct or indirect transaction which calls a function on the supported smart contract chain
Each participating blockchain must support the smart contract while the dApp must deploy one contract to each chain
ZetaChain uses the omni-chain smart contract functionality to reduce the complexity and surface area between different chains.
It does this by using the conventional omni-chain smart contract's ability to be ;
- Randomly programmable
- Able to manage foreign assets directly on external chains
- Called on external chains
What's Unique About ZetaChain?
With the presence of so many omni-chain protocols like Layerzero, Connext, Wormhole and the rest, ZetaChain sets itself apart with these 9 unique features;
- Being an L1 blockchain of its own rather than being just a bridge between blockchains like other cross-chain protocols
- Being smart-contract enabled
- Ability to support chain agnostic omni-chain dApps
- Ability to transfer assets or value without Wrapping them
- Eliminating security risks that come through Wrapping of assets
- Having a native token ZETA that sits at the core of its transactions
- Compatibility with non-smart contract L1 blockchains like Dogecoin, Bitcoin, XRP etc
- Using Observers to monitor the state of relevant transactions on external chains
- Capability of having bridges built on its blockchain
And so on...
All these (and many more) are why I think ZetaChain will be the best interoperable protocol when it goes live on mainnet
As we eagerly anticipate the mainnet, you could join the community and interact with the testnet for a possible airdrop reward